Life and Death Matters

I'm good at trivia, listen to progressive rock, drink Gin & Tonics, and read philosophy when nature calls. Curiously enough, I'm also single.

Monday, February 04, 2008

Mediocrity Through the Ages

Brazil, my friends, has VH1 Classic. Which means that, more than ever, we're that close to reaching our potential, the one we've been talking about since 1822. Who knows, maybe Sting'll even drop by to remind us yet again about The Rainforest.

So, whilst enjoying a segment VH1 calls "Música Mais Música Menos", I happened upon Will.i.am's "I Got It From My Mama" video (2007) and Gerardo's "Rico Suave" (1991). It's stupendous: sixteen years separates two incredibly mediocre, dull, unbelievably poorly written and terribly produced tracks detailing nothing.

But at least these two treasures, brought to me by Brazil's recent economic advances, point to the benefits of globalization. Ecuador got to have it's moment in the sun with this bright shining star it called Gerardo, and Brazil got yet more notice for it's almost century-old battered cliché of hot mulatas dancing 'bout the beach telling some rich foreigner their body is a precious gift given to them by their dear mothers.

Maybe I'm being reductionist; after all, Brazil is certainly a better country for having internationalized itself. Maybe my criticism would be better directed at something else, say, the people who listen -and memorize- this crap; then again, I've seen Chuck Norris' entire oeuvre.

But, again, I rant. Here are the videos:



No comments:

Post a Comment

A Random Post for your Random Pleasure

chomsky.info : News and Reports

Sure, go ahead, ask the 8 Ball if you're gay